Skip to main content

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi (Review #167)

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU HAVE NOT GOTTEN THIS FAR IN THE SHATTER ME SERIES, STOP NOW. DO NOT READ. THIS IS BOOK 3. FOR THE REVIEW ON BOOK 1, CHECK OUT SHATTER ME. FOR BOOK 2, CHECK OUT UNRAVEL ME.


"With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her." 

Review:
Another nostalgic moment for me. It has been a hot minute since I've read this series and all I really remember was Juliette was this self-deprecating superhero type with one good guy and one bad boy in love with her. That's the extent of my memory so let's start book 3!! 

Since I began revisiting series’ I didn't finish, one big lump I've had to swallow is I started these series' when I was a wee teen! A baby! So, things that I used to love about YA fantasy I realize now are very problematic and frankly dumb. With that being said, I went into this trying not to be so critical, for wee me's sake. I really tried. And I failed miserably.


We open back where we began, in a fancy bedroom on the Sector 45 camp. This time though, Warner is on her side. I mean who else does she have now that all plots to overthrow the Reestablishment are turned to ash? Now listen, I have been team Adam for the previous books; granted he was the stereotypical soldier come to save her, but I thought that with the war, they would grow into these two badass rebels fighting for a better world together. And as far as I remember, other than them both going off on their own for a while, that future was a possibility. 

Then we entered this installment. First, the entire rebel camp has been is BOMBED, and Juliette cried for a little bit and then was like "oh well on to the next." MA'AM. You've professed this love for Adam for two whole books and you are completely unfazed by his death?? Her lack of concern is jarring. And then she goes looking for possible survivors and when she hears there are a few, not once does she even ask if Adam is one of them. NOT ONCE. Even Kenji is like, "yo, wtf."


Then we see Adam. And from here on in, he is a god damn toolbag. I wanted to sock him in the face so much. Was he this annoying in the other books too, but my colorblind teen ass didn't see the red flags????? It was ridiculous. So obviously when Love Interest Numero Uno is acting like a tool, we go to Numero Dos for comfort. 


My biggest quarrel with this installment though, was Juliette. In Unravel Me, Juliette is slowly coming out of her shell and learning not to be afraid of her powers, and we're seeing progress. In Ignite Me, she is completely unafraid and has shed all vulnerability. For me, there was a disconnect. Sure, you can say that the bombing and the feeling of losing everything caused her to toughen up a bit more, but the amount of trauma Juliette has endured - that have paralyzed her all her life - suddenly evaporated? I wanted to see Juliette grow but I also wanted her to be real. Trauma doesn't just go away because you've decided you've got new things to stress about, you don't just flip a switch. I wanted it to be an ongoing battle for her to choose to believe in herself over her fear. that would've made for a more compelling heroine for me. 


When I read the acknowledgements, this was clearly supposed to be the last book, but I'm glad it's not. You can't build up this goliath of a villain, who beat our heroes once already, and then have them so easily subdued! I'm hoping for more depth and frankly more flaw in our main character in the next installment, and maybe some turmoil between her and the boys. I think the biggest takeaway here was that it wasn't messy enough for me. Give me the mess!

Thank you so much for reading, leaving a comment down below of your own thoughts and feels!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian (Review #29)

"Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister. Kate is tired of the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person - her ex-best friend - and she's ready to make her pay. Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him. Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they've each had a taste." Review: This book was FAN-TAS-TIC!! I am not for the petty popular girl books, and this is definitely not one of those books. The revenge you wish you got on the person who double-crossed you is finally let loose In one of the best and most inventive ways, and the ending left me jaw-dropped. This is a book everyone should have on their shelf.

Imagine Me by Tahereh Mafi (Review #239)

  WARNING: SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU HAVE NOT GOTTEN THIS FAR IN THE SHATTER ME SERIES, STOP NOW. DO NOT READ. THIS IS BOOK 6.  FOR THE REVIEW ON BOOK 1, CHECK OUT  SHATTER ME . FOR BOOK 2, CHECK OUT  UNRAVEL ME . FOR BOOK 3, CHECK OUT  IGNITE ME .  FOR BOOK 4, CHECK OUT   RESTORE ME . AND FOR BOOK 5, CHECK OUT DEFY ME ! "Juliette Ferrars. Ella Sommers. Which is the truth and which is the lie? Now that Ella knows who Juliette is and what she was created for, things have only become more complicated. As she struggles to understand the past that haunts her and looks to a future more uncertain than ever, the lines between right and wrong—between Ella and Juliette—blur. And with old enemies looming, her destiny may not be her own to control. The day of reckoning for the Reestablishment is coming. But she may not get to choose what side she fights on." Review: This has been such a long time coming! If I'm being completely honest, I needed to be done with this series. I have been r

Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan (Review #143)

"A girl named Nadya, who hears the whispers of the gods inside her head. A prince surrounded by desperate suitors and deadly assassins. A monster hidden behind pale, tortured eyes - and a smile that cuts like a knife. The paths of these characters becomes entwined during a centuries-long war filled with sinners and saints, magic and mystery, and a star-crossed romance that threatens to tip the scales between dark and light forever." Review: This was one of the best reads I’ve had in a long while. It DEVASTATED ME. BUT IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. Nadya and Serefin were both complicated, messy, yet divine characters. Neither were in the right or wrong but both knew the endgame. I loved every second of it. These characters never did what was expected of them and I loved there growth from beginning to end. And MALACHIASZ?????? I shipped it so hard. Every twist and turn had me hoping he and Nadya would set sail. Their dynamic was so intriguing to me. They were enemies of a hig