Skip to main content

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart (Review #168)

"Imogen is a runaway heiress, an orphan, a cook, and a cheat.
Jule is a fighter, a social chameleon, and an athlete.
An intense friendship. A disappearance. A murder, or maybe two.
A bad romance, or maybe three.
Blunt objects, disguises, blood, and chocolate. The American dream, superheroes, spies, and villains.
A girl who refuses to give people what they want from her.
A girl who refuses to be the person she once was."

Review: 
What the hell was that, Lockhart???? I'm upset and not in a good way. E. Lockhart gave me one of my top ten favorite books ever with We Were Liars, so when I saw another thriller I thought would rock my socks off, I went and got it. What I got instead, was utter disappointment. I was so hyped for this book, I was ready for the twist of a lifetime, like I had gotten before, and walked away with absolute confusion and dashed hopes.

The set up was enticing. We have a girl on the run and pretending to be someone else. Jule was my favorite kind of character, she was unreliable and smart. I quickly learned not to believe everything she said, and every time I had a clue of who she really was, by the next chapter it is revealed to be a lie. I loved that! I anxiously awaited the big reveal, the big twist, and thought "wow, I have no idea what it could be! It must be so good!"

You may be asking, "well, was it?" And the answer was NO. NO IT WASN'T. In short, there was no reveal, no big twist. In fact, there was no real resolution of any kind. We are left right where we began, with a little more context, but not the answers we really wanted. For me the biggest disappointment was this whole scheme seemed so well thought out, so meticulously planned, only to come out as just happenstance of a compulsive liar. It completely diminished everything Jules did/accomplished throughout the book! 

I closed this book so confused and nowhere near any kind of understanding or purpose for this book. What was the takeaway? Why did Jule do anything that she did? I guess I'll never know. It is with a heavy sigh that I end this one.

Thanks for reading! Let me know you're own thoughts and feels in the comments below, because if someone can rid me of this muddiness, please do!


Want more E. Lockhart books? Check out We Were Liars!
(I promise this book is a million times better)


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (Review #20)

"Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is. She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong." Review: This is a book you simply have to read. It's probably a part of my top ten favorite books list. Mara is this girl who just lost her friends and boyfriend in a terrible, but also peculiar, accident and now people who tick her off - and who she's attracted to (cough-cough-Noah-cough-cough) - are in her powerful line of fire... It's a tantalizing tale that will have you (for a lack of a better cliche) gripping the edge of your seat!!

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (Review #34)

"Ever since her parents' divorce, Auden has been unable to sleep. She's built a routine that gets her through each night; but when the opportunity comes for her to spend her summer at the beach with her father and his new family, she jumps at the chance to break out of her rut. Life at the beach proves more challenging than Auden expects. In addition to trying to figure out how she fits in to her father's new life, she also has to navigate the girls at work with their gossip and friendship and crushes. And then there's Eli, a fellow insomniac who becomes her nocturnal tour guide. With an endless supply of long summer nights between them, almost anything can happen...." Review: I was a Sarah Dessen - virgin. This was my first time reading her work and it was inexhaustibly fantastic. I couldn't put it down. literally I stayed up all night reading this novel, maybe just how Dessen wanted me to. that is why I'm writing this at such an ungodly hour. Wh...

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian (Review #29)

"Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister. Kate is tired of the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person - her ex-best friend - and she's ready to make her pay. Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him. Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they've each had a taste." Review: This book was FAN-TAS-TIC!! I am not for the petty popular girl books, and this is definitely not one of those books. The revenge you wish you got on the person who double-crossed you is finally let loose in one of the best and most inventive ways, and the ending left me jaw-dropped. This is a book everyone should have on their shelf.